The Community Center: Connecting People to their Democracy
The Community Center is the embodiment of our federal government at the local level. The infrastructure will be paid by everyone ($20 a year, in whatever manner the Community wishes to collect it). This can buy from 200,000 to 340,000 square feet of space. Here is what We will need to house within it.
Services will be divided into at least five ‘hubs’, although the layout of these services is certainly up to the discretion of the Community.
Although self-government is the new prescription, there will still be a federal presence needed for some situations:
- Security (FBI): the main addition is a ‘Peace Officer’ assigned to the community, mostly as a mediator between the citizens and the local authorities, in the hope citizens and police can form a better relationship.
- Treasury (Tax Collection / Payments and Disbursements): whether it is collecting income investment, or dispersing retirement dividends, there may need to be a person available within the community for any questions or concerns citizens may have. This office will also handle each citizen’s utility bills, rent payments, healthcare bills, vehicle registration, or any violations that lead to fines related to the National Bank.
- Local offices for federal government officials (senators and representatives), local government offices (National Bank oversight, judiciary and litigation services, communication cybersecurity, management for various infrastructure projects, etc.)
A Walk-in Clinic will be found within every community center, which can provide treatment, testing, screening and even assessment, in order to refer people to other parts of the health care system.
- Pharmacy / clinic where pharmacists can prescribe some things (birth control, asthma inhalers, thyroid pills), or refer people to an on-site nurse practitioner, physician assistant (or even a doctor) [many tests can be done on site, immunizations, vaccinations, referrals, etc.
- Counseling Services – initial consultations and assessments can be done here: Smoking, alcohol & drug abuse, obesity, depression, mental health issues, even help in initiating healthy lifestyle options (nutrition, exercise, etc.) Yearly mental health screening can be done here, along with peer support groups, therapy, etc. [Appointments can also be secured online]
Child Preventive Services will be provided as well.
- Screenings: PKU, STI’s, Vision, Obesity, Hypothyroidism, HIV, Sickle Cell, Hemoglobin,Dyslipidemia, Depression, Developmental, Cervical dysplasia, Autism, Hearing
- Assessments: Oral Health, Behavioral, Alcohol / Drug, Blood Pressure, etc.
- Testing: TB, Lead
- Supplements: Fluoride chemoprevention, Iron
Family Services can be found in the Healthcare hub.
- Counseling: Social Workers, family resources, in-home therapy, parenting classes, Big Brothers and Sisters, Peer Programs, Family Housing
NOTE: potentially 122 children in 100,000 population are foster kids, and numbers indicate that 73 or more return to their home eventually. 1st goal: keep the family together with lots support options. Support and counsel parents, support and counsel children, bring in mentors, nannies, volunteer peers, and even offer “Family Housing” where families stay together in a neutral place and work out their issues together with intermediary help.
An ‘Activity Area’ will be part of healthcare’s ‘preventive’ services, and will likely have an office to administrate recreational fields or park activities within the community.
- An area for exercise classes and other Community Health Programs (PT / Fitness Clinic with Body Fat testing – either here or linked to one of the local high school campuses)
- Some Doctor, Counseling, or Dentist offices will need to also be located here
- Temporary (transitional) Housing Services, and Behavioral Care services
- Placement Services for the Elderly (Rehabilitation Care, Independent, Assisted and Memory Care, and Hospice care
Education will need a connection to the community as part of their mandate to ‘payback’ primary and secondary education. There will be many jobs that children can perform for the community; here are a few:
- Childcare Services (Baby Station, daycare services)
- Recycling Business (children will oversee the recycling of old packaging, but also producing and dispensing the new biodegradable packaging and infinitely recyclable containers used within the community.
- Local / National Education Retail Store (located online as well): As ‘entrepreneurs in training,’ children will be encouraged to develop and create needed ‘goods’ in accordance with their chosen ‘passion.’ The community center will provide a space for this.
Through the National Bank’s mandate to provide essential needs to every community, many businesses will immediately come to life:
• Waste Management
• Banking Services for Small Business
• Other Small Business Services (including Local Job openings, Federal Bank’s local Micro-loan Office, business plan guidance, etc.)
• Offices for
• Water / Sewer
Coffee house, drug store, local food, pop-up shops, etc.— there should be lots of seating for studying, tutoring, meetings, socializing, work. Money from the Retail Hub will pay for the operation of the Community Center, so local business will have a presence there. As part of the small business model for the National Bank, start-ups could take up space here to ‘test’ out products and services before attempting to ramp up financially.
- Local / National Education Retail Store (Our kid’s school-made items, for purchase—helps ‘payback’ their education)
- The pharmacy attached to the Walk-in Clinic (making money from over-the-counter sales)
- Pop-up shop space
- Local Affordable Food Outlet / ‘food court’ where restaurants could get their start)
- Food and Beverage Businesses: small as a coffee kiosk, large as a restaurant / bar
- Classes (to provide exercise, knowledge, or entertainment)
- Meeting / Entertainment Venue Space (Large room can be rented out for meetings, entertainment, group counseling, parties, community gatherings (town hall meetings, community meals, lectures / classes, etc.)
- Fitness / Gym